Tuesday, March 16, 2010

books to laugh and cry by


Jonathan Safran Foer's Everyting is Illuminated



Milan Kundera's The Joke



Matt Groening's Life in Hell

Well it is clear I have been on the subject of post-communist Eastern Europe, Politics, cultural uncertainty, and the beauty that can be found within sadness. Humor is so important...though it may be dark. That's why as I lay in bed feeling crushed because I have just finished yet another Milan Kundera novel "the joke"...I break out my old Matt Groening "Life is hell" comic book. The world is absurd. Always decaying further and further in that dirrection. There is such tenderness in how flawed and fragile we all are. That these authors have managed to capture this to me is the greatest gift that one can expect to offer humanity. I'm so thankfull for books...particularily these ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment