Tuesday, February 23, 2010

humble old ladies




I have a somewhat obsessive collection of photographs I've taken in my travels of humble old post-communist ladies. I have decided to let these ladies inform my latest round of figurative sculptures. There is something so kind, innocent and genuine in these womens' faces. They have been through so much political turmoil and change but do not come across as downtrodden. They appear confident and unashamed. Proud and knowing. Taking these photos I feel a tinge invasive but the look on their faces so clearly say "recognize me, I exist, I have made it this far". So I do my best to capture and preserve with dignity and truth these ladies. Now I am attempting to capture the spirit of some of these ladies in my figurative sculpture. Will this translate well into the medium of clay figures? That's the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment