Monday, November 9, 2009

behold the Byzantine icons


Byzantine Icon Painting
Byzantine Icon Painting


Painted Monastery in Romania

I have always been drawn to the elaborate and ornate art that flourishes in old churches. I was not raised going to church so I enter every church as a detached visitor not caught up in the religious part and just there to take in the art. I pretty much enter every temple, monastery or grand cathedral I come across. To me it makes no difference if it is catholic, Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu-all have something for me to behold. My favorite though is Eastern Orthodox Byzantine icons. I am drawn to the rich worn away colors of red, green and blue with bold black outlines set off with luscious gold, velvet, gems...its all at once decadent and humble. The figures are very two dimensional and otherworldly. Everything is usually very crowded and overly expressive and emotional. I am also drawn to the architectural frames of the icon paintings. Two summers ago I was able to visit many of the famous painted monasteries in Romania and see all of this first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment